The Spirit Shop

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness Event


Bob and I have been planning a large Breast Cancer Awareness event to be held in October. Several times a year I like to hold an event to raise money for organizations that need it. The last event we did was for the Arthritis Foundation and a young girl, Alyssa, who suffers from arthritis. I find it important to appreciate the things we have and to give to those who are in need.

Recently Bob put together a drive to raise beany babies for kids suffering from HIV and AIDS. Bob along with a few members of his soccer team gathered together over 500 beany babies. We have them here boxed up and ready to ship to Camp Kimble. Camp Kimble is a camp where children with the disease can go to be with others that also have the disease. You can check out their web site at http://www.campkimble.org/.


We decided to choose breast cancer for our next cause for several reasons. After having so many clients come to me with young mothers who have passed from the disease I felt something has to be done. I also had one client a few years ago that I told to get checked for breast cancer. She did get checked and doctors informed her that she did have the deadly disease. After long agonizing chemo. treatments, she made it through and is now a survivor of breast cancer. If that did not come through during her reading, she may have found out too late. This disease is something all women need to be aware of and have their yearly mammograms.


I also decided I wanted to do this event in late October near Halloween. October happens to be Breast Cancer Awareness month. A perfect time to hold this event. The event will be held in the ballroom of the Buck's County Sheraton in Langhorne. They have even helped support by giving us the room for half the price. It also helped that I hold events there often. So now comes some heavy planning and organizing.


I contacted the Linda Creed Foundation for their support with this event and I was going to choose them to receive the money raised. To my surprise, they completely blew me off. I could not believe they didn't want to help and actually seemed as if they wanted nothing to do with the event. I guess they have enough money and don't need any more. So I contacted several other Breast Cancer Awareness organizations and I'm waiting to hear back.


We are looking for as many sponsors as we can find for the event. This will help cover the cost of the hotel and advertising. As you can imagine, advertising is not cheap. We are also looking into several guest speakers and other entertainers. We will also be keeping ticket prices low to help attract more people. Its going to be a great event.

People who own a business and would like to sponsor this event you should contact me or Bob. We will be sending out an e-mail and posting more information about sponsorship.Its a great way to promote your business and help with a good cause.

Help Those Who Can Not Help Themselves.

No comments: